WELCOME to the BLOG.
For complete details on concerts, residencies and other events, see CALENDAR.
The Duo will begin recording "A Dozen Choro Tributes" in February. It is the featured work on our second CD, "Choro Tributes". Digital release is planned for early March, physical release in April.
Stay tuned for CD RELEASE CONCERTS this spring and continuing into the fall.
The Duo also recently performed at Sacred Heart Univ. Guitar Festival in Fairfield CT.
Curated by acclaimed guitarist-educator Joe Carter, the Duo will return to Sacred Heart on March 5 to present a lecture-demonstration on "A Dozen Choro Tributes".
• CD REVIEWS •
(International Clarinet Association)
"The performers give lovely renditions of these works. Louis Arques plays with a refined sound on both soprano and bass clarinets. Boukas is an excellent guitarist. While all of his compositions have a stylistic basis in traditional Brazilian popular music, they reflect his own more complex artistic sensibility. Perhaps this is nova brasilidade, in the same spirit as Piazzola's tango nuevo."
"Their performances are uniformly high spirited and totally captivating. Boukas appropriates the rhythmically funky essence of such styles as Forró, Frevo and Baião and tests their viability in a setting that stresses spontaneous improvisation. There's no sheen of unneeded post-production here– just the sensation of total honesty." - Mark Holston
• NEW COMPOSITIONS •
• EMBOLADA, an extended piece composed for the brilliant clarinet quartet SOPROS de PE, from Pernambuco, Brazil. I met the ensemble at this year's ICA CONVENTION (Int'l Clarinet Assoc.).
• "Three Choros for Bass Clarinet and Guitar"
• "Cantos do Nordeste" featuring the rich and diverse genres from Brazil's Northeast.
The work will consist of fifteen movements, including solo guitar interludes.
As with all previous suites, each movement is a tribute to an illustrious Brazilian composer/musician:
Luiz Gonzaga, Jackson do Pandeiro, Sivuca, Hermeto Pascoal, Spok Frevo, Capiba, Pé de Serra, Dominguinhos, Nations (nações) of Maracatu among others.
Both new suites will be completed by late spring.
There are now fifty pieces composed for Diálogos Duo since its founding in fall 2016.
When completed, the sixth and seventh suite will expand our repertoire to sixty-five pieces.
• I am preparing five adaptations of Duo repertoire for clarinetist-professor Victor Chávez and pianist Eunsuk Jung. Both faculty at Univ. Tennessee/Knoxville, they will perform the pieces in a summer tour of Asia. I met professor Chávez earlier this year at the ClarinetFest 2019, where Diálogos performed.
• EDUCATION •
Mannes Duo Residency
Spring 2020 semester Diálogos Duo presents a comprehensive DUO RESIDENCY at Mannes / New School for the Performing Arts. Using "A Dozen Choro Tributes" as repertoire, student clarinetists and guitarists will participate in several masterclasses and present a semester-end concert.
The residency will be video documented for future educational use.
Also, a series of Video MINI CLINICS about A Dozen Choro Tributes will be produced in conjunction with the residency.
• PRIVATE STUDY NEWS •
• My PRIVATE TEACHING In-Studio and Online continues to serve a broad community of musicians around the globe.
For more INFO on DISTANCE LEARNING and PREPAID BLOCK RATE DISCOUNTS see my PRIVATE STUDY PAGE.
Thank you for your interest and support, and I look forward to sharing exciting new musical and educational events with you in 2020.
JOIN E-MAIL LIST