Welcome to the BLOG.
The holidays are upon us and there is much exciting news to share.
For complete details on concerts and other events, visit the CALENDAR.
YOU CAN ALSO POST COMMENTS AND QUESTIONS ON
MY GUESTBOOK below, and join my E-MAIL LIST on the
• NEW RECORDINGS •
• DIÁLOGOS DUO DEBUT CD
"Homages to Brazilian Masters" features the first two suites I composed for the duo and the first piece for solo bass clarinet:
Diálogos for Clarinet and Guitar
Diálogos for Bass Clarinet and Guitar and
Choro Branco for Bass Clarinet Solo
The release is available in both physical and digital download formats.
• CONCERT NEWS •
• DIÁLOGOS DUO performed their Brazilian Songbook Program at GREENBURGH LIBRARY (Elmsford NY) on December 2. This is the fourth time Richard Boukas Brazilian music ensembles have presented at the library.
Stay tuned for more 2019 CD release concert dates.
• The Duo presented a December 5 LIVE PERFORMANCE & INTERVIEW on WKCR-FM (Columbia University) on "Som do Brasil" with host Jassvan de Lima.
• International Clarinet Association (ICA) 2019 Convention
July (date TBA) Knoxville, Tenn.
The Duo has just been invited to present a featured performance at the largest and most prestigious clarinet convention in the world.
The repertoire performed will be from their DEBUT CD, "Homages to Brazilian Masters."
The recording and complete scores will be available at the convention, and a special ICA CONVENTION PAGE on this site will be created, including program notes and special offers for purchase of recordings and scores.
• "SEMPRE JACOB" JACOB BANDOLIM CENTENNIAL CONCERT by
NEW SCHOOL BRAZILIAN CHORO ENSEMBLE will take place
Friday December 14 at 6:30pm. All arrangements are by director Richard Boukas and include works by:
Jacob do Bandolim, Pixinguinha, Luperce Miranda, Ernesto Nazareth, Radamés Gnattali, Paulinho da Viola.
• DUO BRASILEIRO (Boukas and Gustavo Amarante on bass) will perform at the following venues in early 2019:
• BETHPAGE LIBRARY (Long Island) Sun. February 24
• ONDERDONK HOUSE (Ridgewood, Bklyn) Sat. March 2
• GREAT NECK HOUSE (Long Island) Sun. March 31
Visit Duo Brasileiro's newly updated page which features SEVERAL LIVE TRACKS.
QUARTETO MODERNO has return performances in Westchester at:
• GREENBURGH LIBRARY Saturday May 11
• JAZZ FORUM "Brazilian Sundays" Sunday May 19
SEE CALENDAR FOR MORE INFO.
• NEW COMPOSITIONS for
I have recently completed three new multi-movement works for the Duo:
• A DOZEN CHORO TRIBUTES (Uma Dúzia de Choros-Homenagens)
Each of the twelve pieces pays homage to an illuminary Choro composer/musician whose collective careers span over 125 years: Anacleto de Medeiros, Ernesto Nazareth, Villa-Lobos, Pixinguinha, Garôto, Luperce Miranda, Jacob do Bandolim, Waldir Azevedo, Radamés Gnattali, Rafael Rabello/Paulo Moura, Guinga and Hermeto Pascoal. The complete piece is fifty minutes in length.
The premiere of this new work will be in late spring.
Plans are to present this work in a variety of venues, including educational residencies.
• SÉCULO (Century) in eight movements
Dedicated to my father Gus (1917-1965), commemorating his centennial.
The official premiere will be later next year.
• IMPRESSIONS OF MINAS (Impressões de Minas) in ten movements
This latest suite I am currently finishing for Diálogos Duo pays tribute to the wondrous music and composers from the Brazilian state of Minas Gerais: Milton Nascimento, Toninho Horta, Sérgio Santos, Juarez Moreira, Ary Barroso, Lô Borges, João Bosco among others. It will be completed by year's end.
Including these new works, there are now forty-five original pieces Richard Boukas has composed for Diálogos Duo since 2017.
SPECIAL PROJECTS UPDATE
The program featured works by Jacob, Nazareth, Luperce Miranda, Pixinguinha, Radamés Gnattali, Paulinho da Viola and myself. DOWNLOAD CONCERT PROGRAM NOTES
In 2019, I will be offering special Brazilian music workshops in
GUITAR, COMPOSITION and REPERTOIRE. Stay tuned for DATES.
NEW YORK JAZZ WORKSHOP Ear Training Level One
• In addition to my regular studio students, I've been teaching online to musicians around the world via Skype, FaceTime and What's App.
For more INFO on DISTANCE LEARNING and BLOCK RATE DISCOUNTS visit my PRIVATE STUDY PAGE.
COMPOSER SCORE EDITIONS
Definitive spiral-bound and PDF editions of my first two DIÁLOGOS DUO works "Diálogos" (for Clarinet and Guitar, Bass Clarinet and Guitar) are available at the CHAMBER MUSIC STORE.
Visit the CALENDAR and this BLOG frequently for all the latest composer news and performance details.
Thank you very much for your continued interest and support of my work, and if you are not yet on my list to receive periodic e mail announcements, go to the CONTACT PAGE and send a quick message.
POST YOUR COMMENTS AND QUESTIONS
IN MY GUESTBOOK BELOW.
If you would like a response and/or
be added to my E MAIL LIST, please
INCLUDE your E MAIL ADDRESS in your message.