Featured are video are audio capture of workshops and lectures on a variety of musical topics:
• MUSICIANSHIP FOUNDATIONS: Ear training, transcribing, theory
• CREATIVE SKILL SETS: Improvisation, composition, arranging, leading original music ensembles
• PERFORMANCE and ANALYSIS: Jazz, Brazilian, Classical (chamber/choral) and crossover idioms; standout composers
As appropriate, archived workshops are accompanied by:
attachments of scores, notated and audio illustrations and exercises; relevant links, bibliography and discography.
Canhoto, João Pernambuco, Dilermando Reis, Garôto
Visionary of Contemporary Brazilian Music
Video of Lecture given at
Lamont School of Music, Denver University, Colorado
Divided into fourteen segments of 15-20 minutes each, this comprehensive presentation includes commentary and analysis of Pascoal's musical style and development, ensemble rehearsal techniques, authoritative scores and full-group transcriptions from original recordings.
New York Jazz Workshop: Dynamic Ear Training and Notational Fluency
Co-founded by acclaimed saxophonist Marc Mommaas and Marco Chelo several years ago, Richard was invited to teach three ten-week trimesters focusing on Ear Training and Transcription / Dictation.
For any information on courses and private lessons, visit their site.
For descriptions of courses taught by Richard Boukas:
• Dynamic Ear Training for the Contemporary Musician, Level One
• Notational Fluency for Transcription and Dictation
• Richard Boukas Bio and Teaching Philosophy
Watch VIDEOS discussing his three-level course:
DYNAMIC EAR TRAINING FOR THE CONTEMPORARY MUSICIAN
DYNAMIC INTEGRATION OF EAR-VOICE-GUITAR
Presented at New School Jazz and Contemporary Music (where Richard has been core faculty since 1995), this special workshop is a must for guitarists, other instrumentalists and vocalists. Handouts in PDF format used at the workshop are downloadable.
The initial half-hour excerpt is viewable below. It was informally captured and unedited, which explains the lower resolution.
See the LINKS below for free access to HANDOUTS used at the presentation.
The main objectives:
• to dramatically broaden one's ear and voice connection to the guitar
• to prepare the musician to respond creatively in playing situations where perceptions and reactions must be made in fractions of a second
• to unite your creative/intuitive core with the guitar
• to master musical elements in the EAR by integrating VOICE and GUITAR in a dynamic environment
• to leverage all guitar fingerboard knowledge, theory and practice routines to improve ear and voice
• to restore balance of skill levels among EAR, VOICE and GUITAR (EVG) for optimal musical growth
• to establish efficient and comprehensive EVG practicing routines (solo, duo)
There are two main handouts which accompanied the workshop, and they are free PDF downloads:
PRACTICE ROUTINE ILLUSTRATIONS
The following areas are covered, with corresponding begin timings:
• EAR-VOICE-GUITAR CONNECTION
• INTERVALS (4:13)
• MODES (12:06)
• TRIADS (17:58)
• SINGING VOICINGS INTO GUITAR SOUNDHOLE (20:20)
• SEVENTHS (23:31)